Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) are required to make health improvements against all the indicators in the NHS Outcomes Framework; these are:
- Preventing people from dying prematurely
- Enhancing quality of life for people with long term conditions
- Helping people to recover from episodes of ill health or following injury
- Ensuring that people have a positive experience of care
- Treating and caring for people in a safe environment and protecting them from avoidable harm
Once authorised (with or without conditions) the CCG will be subject to an annual assessment. This will determine the nature of support or conditions going forward, based on performance and other aspects of the CCG’s organisational capabilities and relationships.
The performance of CCGs will be overseen by the NHS Commissioning Board according to the Commmissioning Outcomes Framework (COF). The Government’s mandate sets out the ambitions for the health service for the next two years.